Still Curious?

My European Excursions may be over for now, but the adventure is far from over! if you're still wanting to keep up you can check out my new blog. simplyshaela.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Good 'ole England


Early in the morning dad and I once again took to flight, making our way back one hour and crossing the English channel. After running across the runway through much chillier wind than I was used to and making our way through England's tighter security we were met by none other than the Nash family. For those of you who don't know the Nashes used to be missionaries in Belem as well. I was pretty excited to be able to hang out with Chloe again and see where they live in Luton. After a spending a lovely time with them in Bedford we headed into London where we met up with the Smalls, old friends of my parents from college, and took up residence on their living room floor. It was wonderful to have some one who knew their way around to give us tips on where to go and how to get there.

Chloe and I in a lovely little park in Bedford (which happens to be the home town of John Bunyan, the author of Pilgrim's Progress)

Anna, Chloe and I in John Bunyan's pulpit.

Buckingham Palace in all it's splendor, wish I had pictures of the inside though, it was even better!...no guards on the outside though =(

Oh, you know, while in England you can't pass up the chance to take a picture with a red phone booth!



Big Ben!!!! sorry guys there's no drug store inside or anything....haha!

Parliament, easily the most impressive building we saw there =)




The British museum. This places houses THE Rosetta stone, lost of mummies, the oldest known picture of Christ, Easter Island heads and soooooooo much more that we didn't even get to see. You could spend days in there and still not see it all!

The tower of London, which is really more like a bunch of castles surrounded by a very thick walls and several towers. This was the home of the Royal family for around 500 years.

Inside the Tower of London this is also where the Crown Jewels are kept, and several be-headed royals are buried.
"London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down,...my fair lady! Take the key and lock her up"...interesting how after i learned this history of this place a little better that song makes sense, and it's rather depressing =(

British Library =) This library has the oldest New testament in the world I think is was, Dad was very excited about that. I was excited about the original manuscripts from Jane Austen.

Over all I think London was my favorite place. I wish we would have had a few more days there, there were so many things to do and so little time it seemed! the Transportation there was great as well, very clear and simple. It also made a world of difference to be able to stay with a family instead of in some hotel room, even if it did mean sleeping on air mattresses. I was sad when it was time leave, but then again how could I possibly complain about taking off for the next destination, the city of lights: Paris!!

No comments:

Post a Comment